All GaBi/ts datasets included in the GaBi Databases 2017 Edition have been fully refreshed with the most current, consistent energy data and the latest available technological information, giving you the peace of mind that you continue to work with the best data available on the market. The content has been enriched with nearly 600 new data sets bringing the total to over 10,000 datasets, developed from an underlying database of about 30,000 unit process data sets – by far the largest LCI data industry coverage worldwide. And, for the first time, regionalized water and land use data are included throughout the GaBi databases and can be used with your own regional water consumption information. Compliance and standardization concerning ISO, EN, ILCD, PEF/OEF has been further advanced, and the dataset-internal documentation is more detailed than previous versions. Continue reading to learn more about these and other improvements in this year’s content upgrade.
Fully refreshed database content
• All datasets of the databases 2017 edition have been fully refreshed to represent the latest energy and technology information, legislation and supply chains. With GaBi/ts data, you are assured you are using the most up-to-date data available. thinkstep’s annual updates avoid big result jumps that you may get with other databases that are updated only every 3 to 5 years.
• More detailed documentation has been added at the LCI level (data, method, compliance with standards, reviews, QA steps and quality indicators, changes due to the upgrade) ⇒ with the GaBi documentation using the ILCD documentation structure directly inside each data set, you gain efficient and structured access to all details of what each data set represents, how it has been modelled, data sources, achieved data quality (with a set of data quality indicators), review information, and compliance (e.g. with ISO 14040 and 14044 for all our own datasets and ILCD data network entry-level for a selection).
• Changes are documented in the >> Database Upgrade 2017 document ⇒ glance through the report to check for any changes that might affect your models and to stay on top of your results and analyses.
• Review process for GaBi databases continues with independent external review processes ongoing for a large set of GaBi data, with the review reports to be made available later ⇒ next to trusting in thinkstep’s long-standing unique expertise and experience in industry-based LCI data and in thinkstep’s own in-house QA process, and on top of the DEKRA review of thinkstep’s database development and management processes, you get yet another layer of quality assurance for the GaBi datasets that support your decision making.
Nearly 600 new LCI datasets have been added, including:
Professional database: 250 new datasets
Extension database II: energy: 108 new datasets
Extension database XXI: India: 89 new datasets
Extension database XIV: construction materials: 47 new datasets
Extension database XVII: full US: 36 new datasets
Extension database XI: electronics: 26 new datasets
28 miscellaneous new datasets were added to the extension databases organic intermediates, inorganic intermediates, food & feed, and renewable materials.
• The total number of datasets is now in excess of 10,000
Standards/compliance support (Examples)
• All GaBi/ts data sets conform to ISO 14040 and 14044, similar to basically all other datasets from third parties that we distribute
• The water flows of all GaBi/ts relevant processes are now regionalized, allowing you to perform more advanced water scarcity methodologies such as AWARE, that has replaced an older, outdated method for calculating Environmental Footprint (PEF/OEF). The new GaBi Databases greatly improve the accuracy and reliability of water footprint assessments.
• Similarly, the new, harmonized land use flows in GaBi/ts datasets follow the latest PEF/OEF requirements, allowing you to model with the modern, EF-compliant land use method LANCA (developed by thinkstep’s cooperation partner LBP of Stuttgart University) that very recently has been selected to replace the former land use method for PEF/OEF.
• All existing and newly added construction datasets continue to be available in the modular structure of EN 15804, to ensure you can model and develop EPDs in compliance with this essential European construction standard.
• GaBi ts Databases support PEF/OEF compliant studies and modern data exchange, with full ILCD documentation functionality and for your own data sets, with import and export functionalities from/to ILCD including mapping of flows, quantities and units. Further improvements of the user interface for these increasingly used functions are underway.
• New LCIA methods AWARE, LANCA, EPS are now available in GaBi with characterization factors for direct use with delivered content and with your own data and models.
Gain peace of mind and ensure you’re maintaining a competitive edge secure in the knowledge you are working with the latest data and methodologies.
Base your decisions on the latest and most relevant LCIA data on the market.
Confidence and real peace of mind in the knowledge you are working with the most up to date and comprehensively documented product sustainability data in the world.
Comfort in the knowledge the data and associated governance structure is independently verified.
Create an even greater return on investment. The consistency and transparency of the database methodology mean that clients are able to use GaBi data as a flexible platform or framework to support a whole range of different outcomes.
The significant additions to a range of datasets means you are even more likely to find the right data for your specific needs. You can also be sure this is the most accurate and up to date information of its kind.
Avoid “shocks” due to substantially different data values which occur when the number and type of changes is significant, as happens with datasets that are updated infrequently (3 years plus).
PEF support - Keep your projects on track by receiving the most up to date changes to this evolving standard.
Quickly and easily produce EPDs and whole building LCAs that conform to EN15804. This reduces time and helps to maintain your competitive advantage.
Nothing - we’ll deliver it straight to you!
On February 2017 all our customers with an annual maintenance contract or subscription license service will receive an automatic upgrade of their software and databases. Note: After that date if you don’t receive a message that a new version is available or, when you check your GaBi software under “Help/Check for updates on thinkstep” - please contact your local GaBi sales representative. Your license to receive upgrades may have expired.
What’s new in GaBi Database 2017 Edition: >> click here to view/download
List of datasets in GaBi Database 2017 Edition: >> click here to view/download
GaBi database upgrade guide: >> click here to view/download
GaBi Database Upgrade 2017 Details and Reasons for Changes: >> click here to view/download
Change log GaBi Service Packs: >> click here to view/download
If you have any urgent questions regarding your GaBi upgrade, please don’t hesitate to contact your local GaBi sales representative.
E-Mail+49 711 34 18 17 22